Situated on the Peace River leading out to the Gulf of Mexico, Port Charlotte, Florida, is a sun-seekers paradise! No matter what outdoor activity you enjoy, if it involves sun and surf, you can find it in Port Charlotte! That includes fishing, boating, kayaking, manatee watching, kiteboarding, paddle boarding, and much more.
Some of the most magnificent beaches on the West Coast of Florida are minutes from Port Charlotte! If you’re coming to relax with your family, the information below will get you started on an exciting note! It’s a list of the best things to do in Port Charlotte, Florida! Read on to discover everything this wonderful Gulf Coast city has to offer!
Outdoor Activities in Port Charlotte, FL
The list of fun and exciting outdoor activities in Port Charlotte is long, no doubt! This part of Florida is well known for being a boaters paradise and offering some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Below is a list of some exciting and entertaining outdoor activities you’ll find here.
- Deep-sea fishing- There are many deep-sea fishing boats for hire in and around Port Charlotte.
- Sunset sailboat cruises- There’s nothing more relaxing than taking a sunset sail on the beautiful Gulf of Mexico with your family or significant other.
- Kayaking in mangroves while looking for manatees- These lovely creatures are enormous but gentle, earning the nickname “sea cows.”
- Swimming in the beautiful Gulf of Mexico- The water is gorgeous almost year-round, and the sand is like beautiful white sugar.
- Relaxing on the beach or strolling to find shells- The vast number and variety of shells you’ll find is almost unbelievable.
- Biking on hundreds of miles of trails- Florida is a great state for safe biking, with thousands of miles of safe, marked trails,
- Exploring thousands of acres of pristine wetlands- The wetlands around this part of Florida are astounding in their vastness and the number of wild animals to be seen.
- Waterskiing, kiteboarding, paddle boarding, and wakeboarding- If you can do it on a board, you can do it in Port Charlotte!
There are so many family-friendly activities in Port Charlotte to enjoy you might not know where to begin. It’s important to know that families are catered to here in this part of Florida, as so many come down for vacation. Some of the best are listed below.
- Spending an afternoon at the beach swimming in the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The water is often so still that even the smallest in your family can safely swim.
- Rent a few kayaks or canoes for a day on the water. Kayaks and canoes are a fun, easy and affordable way to explore the many inlets and lagoons around Port Charlotte.
- E-biking in Myakka State Park. Electric bikes are so much fun and easy to ride!
- Going on a boat tour in the Gulf of Mexico. Many companies offer boat tours and give you a unique view of the Port Charlotte area.
- Take a walk and enjoy nature in Ollie’s Pond Park. It’s a beautiful park and within walking distance.
- Watch the Charlotte Stone Crabs play! They might be Triple-A, but that makes the games triple the fun!
- See a movie at Regal Cinemas, watch the latest blockbuster or rom-com!
- Hike or horseback ride in Babcock Ranch Wildlife Management Area. There are hundreds of miles of excellent trails around Port Charlotte.
- See amazing birds being helped to heal at Peace River Wildlife Center & Ponce De Leon Park
Most families visit Port Charlotte in winter because the weather is near perfect, with a comfort index of 9.2/10. Summertime is OK, also, but it’s extremely hot and humid. The best time of year to visit is from November through May. That’s when the humidity is less, the sun isn’t nearly as strong, and the water is truly refreshing!
Top 10 Restaurants in Port Charlotte, FL
- Peace River Seafood and Crab Shack – Best Seafood.
- The Twisted Fork- Best bar food
- Taste of Europe Bistro- Best German food
- Donato’s Italian Restaurant- Best Italian food
- Pioneers Pizza Port Charlotte- Best Pizza
- The Grill at 1951- Best fine dining
- Wally’s Southern Style BBQ- Best Barbecue
- Prime Serious Steak- Best steak house
- Laishley Crab House- Best blue claw crabs
- Gatorz Bar and Grill- Best sports bar
There are quite a few places to shop around Port Charlotte. Several are right in town, although some are a few minutes away (but worth the drive).
- Port Charlotte Town Center
- Promenades Mall
- Charlotte Square
- Charlotte Arts Gallery
- Sun Flea Market
- Fisherman’s Village
- Galleria Mall
- Funkie Junkies
The nightlife in Port Charlotte will not disappoint! However, One thing to note is that during winter and spring break, most of the night spots in and around the area are packed to the gills (no fishing pun intended). Many of the nighttime hotspots below are fun, with attractions and amenities that will float everyone’s boat! (Yes, that pun was intended!)
- Gatorz Bar and Grill
- Paddy Wagon Irish Pub
- Kava Culture Kava Bar
- The Hive Bar
- Charlie’s Pub
- Portside Tavern
- Allstar Sports Grill
- Racks Pub and Billiards
Store Your Boat and Other Beach Gear Safely with Hide-Away Storage
If you need to find storage units in Port Charlotte, FL, Hide-Away Storage has plenty of them. Safe, clean, and highly secure, you can store your boat, boating gear, and all your other stuff with peace of mind. Hide-Away Storage makes Port Charlotte storage easy and convenient with our month-to-month rentals, 24/7 security cameras, and drive-up storage units.
If you’re not sure what size storage unit you need, use our storage unit size guide for help. You can also look at our FAQ page for answers to specific storage questions. When you’re ready, reserve your Port Charlotte storage units to store all your stuff safely for the next time you need it!