Are you planning a visit to lovely Tampa, FL, sometime soon? If yes, it’s a sure bet you’re searching for information about this exciting and vibrant southern city. What’s the weather like in winter, for example, and what are the best things to do in Tampa to have a good time if you’re single, a young couple, or married with kids?
To help you answer these and several other questions, the storage experts at Hide-Away Storage put together the article you’ve got in your hands! It’s a guide to the best way to spend one weekend in Tampa! Read on to discover everything Tampa offers and how to experience it yourself!
A Quick Note about the Weather in Tampa
Tampa is well known for its warm, subtropical climate. Summers are long, hot, and humid, and many thunderstorms pass through (although usually quite quickly). In the winter, temperatures in Tampa are much more comfortable and mild. Typically, during the height of the day, it reaches the low to mid-70s Fahrenheit. That’s why, like most parts of Florida, Tampa is very popular in winter when the weather and temperatures “up north” are cold, wet, and miserable.
Saturday Morning: Breakfast at the Oxford Exchange
With a fantastic restaurant, bookstore, and shop, the Oxford Exchange is a great place to start your Tampa weekend! (If you’re into Instagram, there’s plenty to get excited about posting!)
Saturday Morning: A Relaxing Walk and Breakfast at Ybor Village in “Cigar City”
If you want even more breakfast choices that feature a wide variety of cultural influences, Ybor Village is the place to go and is renowned for its Cuban and Spanish influences. We recommend La Segunda Central Bakery for its authentic Cuban toast and café con leche or indulge in a Spanish omelet at Columbia Restaurant, Florida’s oldest restaurant.
Saturday Afternoon: Spend a Relaxing Day at One of Tampa’s Beautiful Beaches
Tampa has at least 10 beaches, each with unique amenities and conveniences. All of them are beautiful and inviting, with plenty of free parking, showers, and restrooms. Below, we’ve listed Tampa’s best beaches for you!
- Clearwater Beach: A famous beach known for its lively atmosphere and beautiful sunsets.
- St. Pete Beach: Laid-back ambiance with plentiful opportunities for water sports.
- Caladesi Island State Park: A secluded island accessible only by boat, ideal for swimming and kayaking.
- Honeymoon Island State Park: A pet-friendly beach north of Clearwater.
- Sunset Beach: Treasure Island: Known for its welcoming atmosphere and beautiful sunsets.
- Archibald Beach Park (Madeira Beach): A favorite beach thanks to its vast expanse of fine sand.
- Picnic Island Park: A hidden gem in Tampa offering various amenities.
- Davis Island Beach: A tiny, rustic beach in Tampa that is perfect for a romantic sunset walk.
- Cypress Point Park Beach: Ideal for families, with all the amenities you’ll need.
- Fort De Soto Beach: An all-around beautiful and inviting beach.
Saturday Night: Dive Into Tampa’s Electric Nightlife
The nightlife in Tampa is phenomenal, with exciting clubs and various venues playing live music. Tampa is, after all, a sophisticated and culturally diverse city well-known for its Cuban roots. After dark, Tampa truly comes alive, from Ybor City to the SoHo District and Downtown Tampa. You’ll find fashionable bars, casual pubs, and Broadway shows, and getting around is a breeze! In short, Tampa offers one of the best nightlife experiences on the Gulf Coast!
Sunday Morning: Breakfast at Nicki’s Omelette & Grill
Nicki’s Omelette & Grill is a great place to start your Sunday, offering traditional breakfast fare in a lively, fun setting with excellent service.
Sunday Mid-Morning Option 1: Head over to Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
Busch Gardens is an Africa-themed amusement park renowned for its exotic animal encounters and adrenaline-pumping roller coasters. The park offers a thrilling blend of wildlife experiences and exciting rides, making it a family favorite. It’s also an excellent place for a fun 1st-date!
Sunday Mid-Morning Option 2: See Magnificent Manatees at the Manatee Viewing Center
The Manatee Viewing Center is precisely what the name tells you: a place to see these magnificent creatures in their native habitat. If you’ve never seen one of Florida’s “sea cows” before, it’s quite a thrill! The center was chosen as one of the USA TODAY 10-Best Readers’ Choice for top free attractions!
Sunday Afternoon: Kayaking Tampa’s Inland Waterways
Kayaking Tampa’s inland waterways is relaxing and thrilling at the same time! The relaxing part comes from being out on the tranquil, turquoise waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The thrills come from seeing dolphins, manatees, the occasional alligator, and many other wild animals!
You might also be tempted to enjoy something even more thrilling: jet skis! You can rent jet skis at many Tampa locations. After a quick lesson, you’ll be out on the water having a blast!
Sunday Night: Dining in Downtown Tampa
Downtown Tampa, as we’ve mentioned, offers a wide variety of restaurants, from upscale to casual spots offering local seafood and fusion cuisine. Foodies can indulge in everything from fresh, innovative seafood to hearty Italian, Latin-inspired, and farm-to-table American fare. The best part? Most restaurants offer scenic views and spectacular sunsets!
The Best Restaurants in Tampa
There are many places to dine in Tampa, but only a finite amount of room in this article. Below, we’ve listed some of the best restaurants in the city, but rest assured there are more to discover!
- Ella’s Americana Folk Art Cafe: A unique spot with an artistic bar atmosphere.
- Stonewood Grill & Tavern: Perfect for steak, seafood, and bar lovers.
- Mise En Place: Refined American and international cuisine make this a local favorite.
- Due Amici: A cozy atmosphere and genuinely superb pizza? Yes, please!
- Wright’s Gourmet House: A fantastic deli offering American classics.
- On Swann: An American kitchen known for its contemporary approach.
- Mr. Dunderbak’s: A unique pub experience combining German and European flavors.
- Ocean Prime: Excellent seafood and spectacular views of the water. (Located in the International Plaza.)
Top Outdoor Activities to Enjoy in Tampa, FL
We’ve already mentioned Tampa’s gorgeous beaches, but there are many other outdoor activities and attractions to enjoy in Tampa! Below is a list of some of the most fun and exciting of them!
- Hillsborough River State Park: Kayaking, nature trails, Fort Foster, and camping make this one of the best parks in the Tampa area!
- Rock Springs Run State Reserve: This vast park is a paradise for hikers, bikers, and horseback riders, with 17 miles of trails.
- U-Pick Farms: In spring, you can pick strawberries, blueberries, citrus fruits, and more.
- Rainbow Springs State Park: Enjoy picnicking, tubing down the river, kayaking, or snorkeling in the clear waters.
- Alafia River State Park: Known for its challenging mountain biking trails, this park also offers hiking, horseback riding, and water activities like canoeing and paddle boarding.
- Silver Springs State Park: Famous for its glass-bottom boat tours.
Need to Store Some Things in Tampa? Count on Hide Away Self Storage
If you’ve decided to stay (or already live here) and need to store things safely and securely in Tampa, FL, Hide-Away Storage is your best choice. Hide-Away offers several sizes of storage units in Tampa, as well as air-conditioned storage units to protect your valuables from the heat and humidity. You can even store a boat in Tampa with Hide-Away! When you’re ready, reserve your Tampa, FL, storage units online, and they will be ready for your belongings when you arrive. Until then, we hope today’s information helps you have a wonderful, exciting, and fun weekend in Tampa, one of Florida’s most beloved cities!